Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ilissa's Homemade Pizza Sauce

Since becoming gluten free, ordering from a pizza place (especially since living in a small town) is generally not a great option for us. And especially since being a bit more budget conscious, I've come to the decision that it is way easier and yummier to just make my own. I do buy the crusts from a local independently owned restaurant that is very gluten knowledgeable and their crust is AMAZING: Diana's Gourmet Pizzeria. It has won awards all around the world and is definitely a must try if you live in Winnipeg and are gluten free, vegan, or just LOVE pizza!

And after doing a lot of searching to find a pizza sauce recipe that is was just right, I realized I couldn't find one. So, I decided to make my own using a number of the ideas I had come across.

This recipe is quick and easy to make and is so yummy! I generally make the whole batch (or double), then freeze in 2/3 cup portions (2/3 cup sauce / pizza). Our favourite toppings on this pizza is ground beef, red onions, green peppers, and marble cheese.  After trying this recipe, I'm pretty sure you'll never go back to buying the processed stuff in the stores. This is way healthier and way tastier.

Enjoy!

Pizza Margherita
Stock photo. Photo credit: Abigail Lepp.

Ilissa's Homemade Pizza Sauce
(yields enough for 3 - 12" pizzas - freeze for later)

1 can (15oz. tomato sauce)
1 can (6oz. tomato paste)
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder OR 6 cloves of fresh garlic
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp red wine vinegar
pepper to taste

What do you plan to top your pizza with? 

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, secret ingredient, Paprika. I have never tried that in pizza sauce. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment on my blog. I hope to see you again soon!

Please note that your comment will 'not' appear on the list of comments immediately after submitting it. I moderate all my comments so it may take awhile to appear on the list. Please do 'not' leave duplicate comments. Thank you so much for your patience.